I think one of my favorite cards to play when it comes to dressing up is mixing together dressy items with casual ones. Mixing high and low pieces is super simple and I think this is the best way to boost a day-to-day casual look and giving it a twist, but also tone down a way too glamorous outfit, but still being able to wear it during the day.
I find myself doing this naturally now, and it has become a big part of my style. Although it’s easier to get the look in the summertime, especially by wearing minis with flats or sneakers, or sexy tops with boyfriend jeans, you can easily mix high and low during colder months.
The easiest to achieve this is by playing with tops vs bottoms and having them collide in terms of “dress code”. Another great way is to mix different textures that collide ie. silky fabrics with chunky knits. Here are some quick ways for mixing “high & low” pieces in your outfits.
- pair dressy tops with casual bottoms
- wear a dressier skirt, or a dress with flats, low ankle boots or biker boots
- pair a dress with a chunky knit or bomber jacket
- pair a casual top or a sweatshirt with dressy bottoms or heels
- wear a leather jacket over an evening dress
- wear leather pants with flats or sneakers and a chunky knit